If you’re a chocoholic, it is but obvious that you need your chocolate fix ever so regularly. So behold…
The best chocolate cake ever!
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
4 oz unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and slightly cooled
1. Lightly grease bottom and sides of three 9-inch round or square cake pans. Cut circles/squares of parchment paper to fit bottom of pans and place in pans. Lightly grease paper and set pans aside.
2. Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, beat eggs for about 3 minutes, until they have thickened slightly and are lemon-coloured. Add buttermilk, coffee, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate. Mix until well blended.
4. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until batter is smooth. Divide batter equally among pans.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F, until a toothpick inserted in centre of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans, peel off paper and cool completely before frosting.