In summers, we wish to eat something which is light on stomach and at the same time is nutritious and gives a full-stomach feeling. Corn or sweet corn is one such ingredient. It is high on fibre and light on stomach. We see variety of corn dishes in market and restaurant these days, and one does love the charcoal grilled or even the boiled sweet corn coated with the tasty butter and spices in the lovely rains. There are numerous corn recipes available online too. But how about if you give a twist and make corn more tastier and healthier at the same time with some easy corn recipes at one place? Sounds exciting and cool, right?
We bring you 9 lip-smacking fresh corn recipes that are quick and easy to make but will make you want more. These corn recipes are so easy to make and take little time to make that everyone will ask for more.
#1 Corn and Pomegranate Chaat
- 2 cups corn
- 2/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno or small anaheim pepper, chopped (and seeded if you don’t want it very spicy)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons tamarind chutney
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala, cumin powder ,
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
Just mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and serve.
#2 Corn and Cheese Canapes Italian Style
- One cup Sweet corn Kernels
- One tbsp Butter
- One Onion chopped
- Three tbs of chopped Capsicums
- One tsp Italian seasoning ( You can use seasoning packets you get along with pizza)
- One tsp Chilli flakes
- 100ml Fresh cream
- Half cup Shredded cheese
- Salt to taste
- Ready made cups for filling or even Monaco biscuits can work.
Heat butter in a pan and fry chopped onions till light brown. At the same time, boil or steam corn for five minutes. Once the onion is fried, add chopped capsicum, salt, chilli flakes and Italian seasoning and give it a stir. Add the boiled corn and mix well. Now add fresh cream and shredded cheese and heat until the cheese melts. Once it reaches a saucy consistency, switch off the flame. Fill it up in those little canapes and enjoy it as a starter or a midnight snack. Your kids will love this corn recipe for sure besides elderly and teenagers.
#3 Whole Wheat Corn Veggie Toast
- 2 whole wheat bread
- Onion, tomato, bell pepper, green chilly, corn
- 1 small bowl shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped tomato
- 2 chopped green chilly
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/2 chopped bell pepper/ capsicum
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian mix herb seasoning (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil / butter
Heat pan and toast bread from both the sides with a tinge of olive oil/ butter, then take it off from the pan. For healthier option,you can put it in oven to let it turn crispy,or just simply grill it. Add bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, corn, shredded cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl, and toss well. Now spread the mixture on the slices and either grill or cook it on a non-stick pan. Sprinkle some seasoning when done.
#4 Sweet Corn Soup
- 1/4 cups boiled sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup boiled and crushed sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup finely chopped and boiled mixed vegetables (carrots , cauliflower and french beans)
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- salt to taste
Combine the cornflour and ¼ cup of water in a small bowl and mix well till the cornflour dissolves completely. Keep aside. Heat the butter in a deep non-stick pan, add ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds. Add sweet corn, some crushed sweet corn too and mixed vegetables. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute while stirring continuously. Add 4 cups of water, cornflour-water mixture, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 4 to 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Serve immediately with chillies in vinegar.
#5 Tossed Grilled Corn Cilantro
- 2 ears corn, shucked and each cut into 6 pieces
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1teaspoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
Heat grill to medium. In a medium bowl, toss the corn with the oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill, uncovered, turning occasionally until tender for 10 to 12 minutes (reserve the bowl). Transfer the cooked corn to the reserved bowl and toss with cilantro and lime juice. Serve with lime wedges.
#6 Corn Fritters with Roasted Bell Pepper Sauce
For Corn Fritters:
- 150 gm corn on the cob
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp polenta
- 1 Tbsp besan (gram flour)
- 1 Tbsp maida
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 Tbsp of vegetable oil for frying
- 1 big pinch smoked paprika
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
For the Sauce:
- 1 red bell pepper
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2-3 tsp of olive oil
- 1-2 tsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch of smoked paprika
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
If you are using corn on the cob, then cut the corn kernels.And if using frozen corn then, defrost.In a pan, saute chopped onions, garlic, corn kernels and chilies for 2 minutes.Transfer this into a food processor with polenta, maida, besan, baking powder, baking soda, cumin powder and paprika to make a stiff dough. Add a little milk if dry.Make small balls and deep fry until crispy brown. Serve with a roasted bell pepper sauce.
For the Sauce:
Rub red bell peppers with salt, pepper and olive oil. Roast in the oven at 180 degrees celsius or char on a grill.Transfer into a bowl and cover with cling film.This will crinkle the skin and make it easier to peel off.Slice into two,remove seeds.Using a food processor, puree the peppers along with garlic, salt, pepper, white pepper and
paprika into a thick luscious sauce. Serve and eat!
#7 Masala Corn Recipe
One of my favorite corn recipes, masala corn is easy to make and tastes super yummy. You could either use fresh corn or frozen corn for masala corn.
- 1 Cup Sweet Corn
- 2 Teaspoon Butter
- 1/4 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1/4 Tea Spoon Black Peeper Powder
- 1/2 Fresh cut Lemon for juice
Corn kernels separated from the cob are EASILY available in stores. First wash the corn thoroughly. Boil the corn until they become soft. You can also use microwave to boil corn. Melt butter, put in a bowl and add boiled corn. Add salt as needed. Give a quick stir and sprinkle little red chili powder, pepper, chat masala powder and lemon juice. Masala Corn is ready. Have fun!
#8 Mexican Corn on the Cob
- 1/2 cup grated cotija cheese
- 4 wedges lime(optional)
Preheat outdoor grill for medium heat. Grill corn until hot and lightly charred all over, 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the temperature of the grill. Roll the ears in melted butter, then spread evenly with mayonnaise. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and serve with a lime wedge.
#9 Corn and Basil cakes
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp canola oil,divided
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups frsh corn kernels or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped frsh basil
Whisk flour, milk, eggs, 1 tablespoon oil, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in corn and basil. Brush a large nonstick skillet lightly with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; heat over medium heat until hot (but not smoking). Cook 4 cakes at a time, using about ¼ cup batter for each, making them about 3 inches wide. Cook until the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, making 10 cakes total. Reduce the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Enjoy summers and monsoons with these simple and easy corn recipes. These simple corn recipes are perfect for your next party as well.