Mosquito has the ability to transmit disease causing viruses in human which will definitely create panic among the people. Though we are best in the field of medicine it is becoming a challenging task for the doctors nowadays to identify the type of virus, to eradicate the virus in order to save the life of the patients. People should also need awareness about the diseases, prevention and control techniques. If we know the early signs of dengue and Chikungunya then we can be more careful and can protect ourselves. Though the symptoms provided here are common for both Chikungunya and dengue it may differ for the individuals. So instead of taking over the counter medicines we need to consult with the doctor. So we can protect ourselves from the disease causing viruses.
#Symptoms of Chikungunya
It is an infection caused by Chikungunya virus and it is transmitted by the A.aegypti and A. albopictus mosquitoes to human. The symptoms usually begin two days after the virus being transmitted by the mosquito.
- Fever, headache, joint pain, swellings in the joints, muscle pain and rashes all over the body would be the early signs of Chikungunya. Some people may get neurological problems in later stage.
- If it is not treated properly then the symptoms will last for months.
- Newborn babies, old age people should be monitored carefully if they have been affected. People who have high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes should take more care of themselves if they were affected by Chikungunya.
#Symptoms of Dengue
A.aegypti mosquito transmits the dengue virus. Generally the patients can observe the symptoms after three days of the infection and it will last for fourteen days.
- Sudden high fever, severe headache, pain not only in muscles and joints but also behind the eyes, rashes and nausea.
- You can also notice difficulty in breathing, severe abdominal pain and vomiting.
- If you did not treat this then it would leads to dengue hemorrhagic fever. In dengue hemorrhagic fever the blood platelets level will be reduced and you can notice low blood pressure.
#How Viral Fever Differ from Chikungunya and Dengue
If you have viral fever then you will suffer from runny nose, throat pain, weakness and body ache. But these symptoms will not be severe and may subside when you consume medicines. But if you have dengue or Chikungunya then you will have the above mentioned symptoms and the severity of the illness would not subside even after medication. The doctors will also do complete blood count test with dengue NS1 antigen test. If the test results are positive then it will be confirmed as dengue fever.
Low platelet count, bleeding risk, pain behind the eyes are some of the symptoms associated with dengue which you cannot find in the case of Chikungunya. If you have Chikungunya then you will suffer from intense joint pain and arthritis problem with inflammations which is not similar in the case of dengue. Chikungunya targets the muscles, joints and connective tissues. The patients who are all affected by Chikungunya said that they have lost the sense of taste because the virus affects the taste buds. It will be diagnosed through the lab test like viral isolation, differential diagnosis and RT-PCR test.
The doctors may advise the patients to consume anti-inflammatory drugs if you are affected by either dengue or Chikungunya. They would advise the patients to take rest, to drink plenty of boiled water and fluids.
#How to Prevent Chikungunya and Dengue
- Use mosquito nets and mosquito repellents.
- Remove water or change water from the flower pots and bowls every day.
- You should wear long pants, long sleeved shirts, shoes and socks.
Featured Image Source: http://paralaxlife.eu/