“Ayurveda” the science of life has been proven a boon to mankind since ages however with the progress in the medicine today the science of Ayurveda still proves it importance and teaches us to go back to our roots for a healthy living and lifestyles.A lot of people prefer herbal treatments today with although no side effects.
Ayurveda is composed of the two words Ayur means life and Veda means science. It is science based on the understanding of the five great elements/tatvas: air, fire, water, earth, and ether, which are believed to be the basic components of all life, including the universe and the human body. Each of these elements has a set of particular qualities. All individuals are characterized into 3 categories based on a simplified form of the three vital energies called Doshas, these are Vatta, Pitta, and Kapha. Treatments at VLCC are administered after identification of the dosha type of a person.
VLCC offers the following treatments based on ones Doshas:
Udvartanam means ‘to move something in upward direction . The whole body is massaged with medicated powder made from various herbs in upward direction( i.e in opposite direction to conventional massage).This massage helps to tone up skin, diminishes the appearance of cellulite, improves digestion, and alleviates inactivity and sluggishness and helps reduce obesity.It works primarily on the lymphatic system and helps to drain the lymph.
- It pacifies Kapha dosh
- It melts down the Medo Dhatu i.e. the fat. – As increased mobility of the skin due to the vigorous friction it tends to help in water retention and reduces cellulite.
- It provides nutrition to the skin – Rubbing over the skin invites an increased blood supply to the local skin, which carries a lot of vital nutrients for the area with increased oxygenation to the part, giving the skin a better texture.
- It can also prove helpful in conditions like Obesity and related complications Over weight, High cholesterol and triglycerides,Diabetes,Psoriasis and many more.
Shirodhara is a union of two words ‘shir‘ meaning head and ‘dhara‘ meaning pouring in a stream . Thus, shirodhara means the pouring of a liquid medicine in a stream over the head of a client for a stipulated amount of time. It is a great rejuvenating and curative therapy which eliminates disease and improves vitality. Massage and stimulation of the Marma points of the head, neck, shoulders and feet is followed by a continuous, warm stream of Ayurvedic oil that is poured on and across the forehead..
- Shirodhara quiets the mind, releases stress and produces a sense of deep calm.
- It relieves stress, anxiety, anger, chronic headaches, migraine , hyper tension, insomnia and hair problems.
- It cures the excess vata dosha and helps ease symtoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Abhyangam is synchronized massage followed by steam bath. A unique program where the prescribed oil is liberally applied using soft and gentle strokes,the number of strokes and pressure vary according to the condition of the individuals.It is followed by a steam bath (swedanam). This stimulating treatment increases blood circulation, which in turn encourages quick removal of metabolic wastes, while providing relief to diseases such as anxiety, fatigue, circulatory disorders, arthritic problems, backaches and injuries. Warm Herbal oils are concocted to nourish and revitalize the tissues and to allow the removal of toxins from the body. Abhyanga, characterized by long strokes, flowing movements and Marma point therapy, heightens awareness in order to direct the internal healing system of the body.
- Bodily rejuvenation,General well-being,Elongating life span.
- Inducing sound sleep,Bolstering immunity,Mental relaxation.
- Helps in curing spondylosis,relieving paralysis.
- Hepls smoothen complexion,softening skin texture and preventing wrinkles.
Mukhlepam is Ayurvedic facial is much in demand these days. It includes a face massage, rice scrub and application of turmeric and face pack consisting of various herbal pastes that have beneficial effects on skin. The fine rice used for scrubbing exfoliates the skin and facilitate removal of dead skin. The massage procedure improves blood circulation and the herbal mask absorbs excess oil to make the skin glow and appear youthful. However, if you have skin infections or acne, you are not recommended to take Ayurvedic facials.
- It restores moisture of skin, imparts glow and reduces sagging .
- It is helpful in detanning.
- Tones and tightens skin
- Exfoliates skin
Basti includes therapies that are helpful in taking care of localized aches and pains depending upon the area they are applied. They are classified as :
- Kati Basti- Lower Back pain , this treatment has a relaxing effect on the lower back and helps relieve back pain and spinal disorders.
- Griva Basti- Pain in cervical area
- Janu Basti- Pain in the knee. The treatment reduces the stiffness and inflammation on and around the knees and thus reducing pain. It also strengthens the knee joints by improving blood circulation.
- Manibandh Basti- Pain in the wrist
- Netra Basti: General ocular health.
This treatment is ideal for those suffering from computer vision syndrome and diabetes related eye problems.
This therapy is about exfoliating the body with kitchen herbs like ginger, sesame, cardamom, clove and other powders mixed with red rice. It concludes with the application of an herbal pack mainly constituting of licorice over the entire body. Licorice has been traditionally used as an anti-tan herb which also helps in the removal of pigmentation.
Navarakizhi or Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda is a form of sweat inducing massage treatment. Here, milk and rice are mainly used.Red rice and milk are cooked together with herbs to make a pudding (kheer), the same is collected in boluses (Potalis) and massaged over the skin. This treatment acts as an intensely invigorating therapy and is advised to alleviate generalized weakness and low energy. The treatment is also used as an herbal body polish, especially for brides-to-be and reduces water retention.
- Strengthening nerves,Calming stress ailments
- Curing neurological disorders
- Alleviating rheumatism
- Nourishing limbs and Beautifying skin
Elakizhi is similar to Navarkizhi the only difference is in place of rice herbs are used for treatment. Herbal poultices (bundles) are prepared with fresh leaves and herbs like anti Vata plants,such as Eranda,Arka,Nirgundi,Rasna,Coconut leaves as part of this treatment. These poultices are then warmed in medicated oils and used to massage the entire body, neck, shoulders, hands and back, shifting the person side to side. The treatment helps significantly reduce chronic pain. It helps in Pain relief esp. in joint pains, back ache, cervical pains,helps in weight loss and detoxification.
- Effective for various kinds of arthritis, spondylitis, back pain, sports injuries and for all other soft tissue inflammations especially joint pains.
- Promotes better circulation within the affected area, induces perspiration which helps the skin to eliminate wastes.
- It also helps to tone the skin and can be very relaxing.
This signature VLCC Ayurvedic therapy involves scrubbing the body with tamarind, red rice and herbs followed by a tamarind and yogurt pack. The body is then covered in banana or herbal leaves to make a body wrap. Tamarind is known to contain natural AHAs and antioxidants which help in the removal of tan. Similarly, yogurt helps in bleaching the skin. The synergistic effect of both helps in overall brightening of the skin.
So what are you waiting for? Book yourself a VLCC Ayurvedic Massage this monsoon and feel the difference.