Kakarla Tyagaraja was born in late 18th century in Tamil Nadu and is one of the greatest composer of Carnatic or Indian Classical Music. His devotional compositions are still popular today.
Every year in January/February, Tyagaraja Aradhana, a music festival is held to remember this great composer.
7. Tyagaraja was born in Tamil Nadu but composed Telugu songs
6. He composed his first song, Namo Namo Raghavayya, when he was 13 years old.
5. Out of the 24,000 compositions composed by him almost 700 are enthusiastically taught and practiced till today.
4. He was able to compose in 212 raga (Purandaradas, the father of Carnatic Music, was able to compose only in 25 ragas).
3. He invented 66 new ragas.
2. Sangati, a musical conception in which a set of deviations open out into a musical expression, was invented by him.
1. A cavern on planet Mercury is named after him
Tyagaraja Aradhana festival is currently being held from January 24th, 2016 to January 28th, 2016.